For his Spring 2010 collection J.Mendel designer Gilles Mendel took his typically gauzy confections to a more organic level with curved seams and intricate cut work atop structured fabrics, inspired by the swooping lines of artist Noriko Ambe, and the viscerally natural work of artist Tara Donovan. The hair and makeup was equally soft but strong; gauzy waves tumbled around a face structured with tonal pastels. "We did clean, pretty nudes that conveyed strength," said Brown. Because the hair and dresses are so stunning, we kept the makeup simple." The 'do was awe-inspiring: Gilbert created a chaotic whirl of fuzzy curls, with a round, fluid shape. "This look is very feminine," she said, "It's not feminine-frilly; rather it's feminine with a modern twist." Spring at J. Mendel is about ethereal silhouettes and soft textures, so the makeup reflected this inspiration through clean, matte skin, light pink cheeks and lips, and an elongated smoky eye that is pretty, yet powerful.
The swooping stacked cut lines of artist Noriko Ambe. The organic splendor of artist Tara Donovan. Citing these two biomorphic artists as his springboard for the season, J. Mendel designer Gilles Mendel cultivates a collection seeded in elegant technicality and fluid emotion. “It’s the idea of using structured fabrics and adding an element of softness by using curved seams and intricate cut work,” says Mendel. “Each piece is an emotion.”
GET THE LOOK - Hair
* First, take one to two-inch sections, and mist on new Moroccanoil Luminous Hair Spray (previewed at Fashion Week and available in December, 2009) to increase holding power, enhance the coil of each curl and provide protection against heat-styling.
* Apply Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream and curl each section from roots to ends using a 1/2″ curling iron. Gently release the barrel and allow each curl to fall like a spiral.
* After curls cool, run Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream through the curls as you gently separate them with your fingers. (Tip: When used as a finishing product, Moroccanoil Intense Curl Cream not only adds a sensual definition without crispiness, it also gives silky shine and soft hold while eliminating unwanted frizz.
* Flip head upside-down, fluff the curls, and spray with Moroccanoil Luminous Hair Spray for lasting, touchable hold.
* Finally, arrange curls to ensure the perfect amount of airy texture, and finish with another mist of Moroccanoil Luminous Hair Spray to seal in the style while increasing hair’s shine.
Tips remained neutral in Dashing Diva Nail Polish in Charlotte's Wedding, a soft, filmy white.
Get the Look-Makeup:
Skin: Hydrating Face Cream ($50), Hydrating Eye Cream ($45), Foundation Stick ($40), Creamy Concealer ($22), Corrector ($22)
Eyes: Bone and Mink Eye Shadows ($20), Extreme Party Mascara ($22)
Cheeks: Sand Pink Pot Rouge (Spring ’10, $22)
Lips: Pale Pink Lip Color ($20)